Friday, February 8, 2008

Lent Day #3

Matthew 9:9-13
9 As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
10 And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. 11 And when the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" 12 But when he heard it, he said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. 13 Go and learn what this means, 'I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.' For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners."

THOUGHTS:
I remember growing sometimes hearing things like "you don't want to hang out with those people because they are trouble and people will think that you are like them." I protested that Jesus ate with the sinners and that maybe I'd be a good influence on them, but my arguments weren't persuasive. Years later, I still stand by what I said then. If anything, I'm more convinced that we are called by God to get to know our neighbors no matter what anyone else thinks -- especially those that don't fit society's norms! ("Normal" is a hogwash term anyway. People are unique individuals and everyone deviates from the norm a litte bit, and that is a *good* thing.) I'm actually less focused on being a good influence on the people around me as far as motive goes -- though I certainly hope I'm not a bad influence!

As I pointed out yesterday, God loves us even while we are sinners and sees the righteousness of the Christ when looking at us, even though we don't deserve anything like this! I want to share this grace with the world! I want to explore the diversity of God's creation -- to listen to the struggles that people face, and to hear their hopes and dreams. I want to be present for them and to help them work through the issues they face. I want to be part of what God is doing in the world that I walk through each day -- so often oblivious to what is going on around me. That's what I think the motive should be: being present for people who might need us and open to God working through us in ways we don't understand.

Yet most days I am so involved in my own obligations that I don't do a very good job at this. This Lent, look honestly at whether you spend time with people on the margins as Jesus did. Ask yourself why or why not? Ask yourself if this is an important part of your faith. Pray about how God might use you in small ways as a vessel of grace to those in need that you pass by each day. Consider that merely being present for people may be all the "effort" really required.

PRAYER:
Gracious Lord, you have created such wonderful diversity! We know that there is much that we can learn from people who look, think, and live differently that we do. Help us to notice people around us, rather than passing them by. Help us to be cognizant of their needs. Help us remember to pray for the people we see each day. Allow your grace to flow through us into the world. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

NOTES:
1. If you want to comment on my thoughts for a particular day, use the comments at the bottom of that post.
2. GMU Lutheran Campus Ministry is part of Northern Virginia Lutheran Campus Ministries. Our ministry is focused on students attending George Mason University or other colleges in northern Virginia -- and we don't just mean Lutherans ... we welcome everyone! For more information, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!