Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent #1 - Ash Wednesday

Luke 18:9-14
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' 13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."


Thoughts:
Today is the first day of Lent, which is a season of returning to God. It isn't about giving up things that may or may not be good for you like chocolate or meat. It isn't a self-help time for resolutions like people make at New Years. It's about turning our focus to our faith, seeking a deeper relationship with God. It's about new life flowing into ourselves from that relationship. It's about faith communities coming together to support each other in this journey.
We begin today with honest confession to God. We acknowledge that we know God instructs us to care for those on the margins: the poor, the destitute, the elderly, & the widows. We acknowledge God's call for us to love his creation: the environment, our enemies, & those who really make life hard on us. We confess that we fall short on our side of this relationship sometimes. We confess that we try to live life on our own. We confess that our actions in life evidence that we don't think God is necessary. We confess that we are sinners in need of mercy.
The imposition of ashes during worship services today is a sign of that repentance, and of our desire to be made clean again. The ashes, made from the palms from Palm Sunday of last year, are placed on our foreheads. They remind us that humankind was created from the dust of the earth, and that at the end of the life we will return to the earth. We are symbolizing that God created us, and we are now returning to God. We think of ashes as messy, but they have long been used as an ingredient in soap. With these ashes, we express our desire to have our dirtiness made clean.


Prayer of Abandonment:
(by Charles de Foucauld, a Catholic contemplative who lived from 1858 to 1916)

Father, I abandon myself into your hands;
do with me what you will.
Whatever you may do, I thank you:
I am ready for all, I accept all.

Let only your will be done in me,
and in all your creatures -
I wish no more than this, O Lord.

Into your hands I commend my soul:
I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,
for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself,
to surrender myself into your hands without reserve,
and with boundless confidence,
for you are my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!