Friday, March 19, 2010

Lent 2010 #27

Isaiah 43:8-15 (NRSV)

Bring forth the people who are blind, yet have eyes, who are deaf, yet have ears! Let all the nations gather together, and let the peoples assemble. Who among them declared this, and foretold to us the former things? Let them bring their witnesses to justify them, and let them hear and say, "It is true." You are my witnesses, says the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior. I declared and saved and proclaimed, when there was no strange god among you; and you are my witnesses, says the Lord. I am God, and also henceforth I am He; there is no one who can deliver from my hand; I work and who can hinder it?

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: For your sake I will send to Babylon and break down all the bars, and the shouting of the Chaldeans will be turned to lamentation. I am the Lord, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King.

THOUGHTS:

These words from Isaiah come from the time of exile in Babylon. Here, God challenges the people and gods of Babylon and asserts His dominion, his prominence as THE God, the one and only. Even the blind and deaf of Israel can witness to God's saving power.

I read these words as both a comforting reminder and a strong challenge. We are so blessed that this creating, powerful God is our Savior. But we are also called to witness and proclaim His Gospel. Where is God calling you to witness today? Are there people around you who need to hear His saving message?

PRAYER:

Lord, we thank you for your saving love and grace. We know that you are the one and only God, our Creator. We ask that your Spirit guide us and help us share your message. Amen.


--
Thoughts by Kriss Buss, Young adult member of King of Kings Lutheran Church (Fairfax, VA)

--
These devotions for young adults are provided by:
Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University http://www.gmu.edu/org/lutheran
Lutheran Student Association at the University of Maryland http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~lutheran/lsa/
DC Young Adults http://www.dcyoungadults.org/
--
Feel free to share them with your friends!
View or subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!