Friday, April 10, 2009

Lent 2009 #39: Good Friday

Hebrews 10:14-18,23-25    
 14 For by a single offering [Jesus] has perfected for all time those who are sanctified. 15 And the Holy Spirit also testifies to us, for after saying, 16 "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds," 17 he also adds, "I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more." 18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin. 
 23 Let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day approaching.


THOUGHTS:
Today is "Good Friday".  It seems an odd name for us to use as we remember that Jesus -- who is God, but also fully human -- was executed for a political crime (claiming to be a King of a people ruled by the emperor of Rome) by the government authorities at the urgings of the priests of his own religion, after being betrayed by one of his 12 disciples and more or less abandoned by the rest.

What's so "good" about this day?

What's good is that, through this bizarre turn of events, God mysteriously washed creation in his blood, and God remembers the sins and lawless deeds of humanity no more.  The good news is not the apparent death of God.  The Good News is that Jesus took our Sin to the grave in his death.  The Good News is that God will remember our sins no more!  We are free!

For this reason, we sinners come boldly before God as saints, for our sins have been washed away!  Therefore, as we remember the death of God, we also remember the new life this brings to humanity.  We proclaim this faith as we gather together to encourage one another to loving God's creation and to action rooted in that love.


PRAYER (adapted from the prayer for Good Friday in "My Prayer Book" Concordia Publishing House, 1980):
     O Lamb of God, slain for sinners, this day brings me to the foot of your cross.  Humbly and shamefully I admit that you have carried my griefs and sorrows; with your stripes I am healed.  I thank you that you suffered all as my substitute.
     For my sins your hands and feet were pierced with nails, your lips tasted of the vinegar and gall, your side was pierced by the spear.
     Here I behold the tremendous price of my sins that cost you your life, Lord Jesus.  Here I see you as the lamb of God, who by one sacrifice has forever perfected and sanctified humanity.  May your cross ever be the source of my forgiveness, comfort, joy, and peace.
     As I view you today suspended on the cross, may I by your love be prompted to say with Paul: "I have been crucified with Christ .. and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith of the the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  By your love draw all people to you that they may live with and for your forever more.  For your holy name's sake I ask it.  Amen.


---
REMINDER: Carpool to worship with us (meet at SUB 1 room 207).  Email lutheran@gmu.edu if you have questions.
TODAY (4/10) - GOOD FRIDAY:  Stations of the Cross in mixed media -- The object of the Stations is to help the faithful to make a spiritual pilgrimage of prayer, through meditating upon the chief scenes of Christ's sufferings and death.  We'll meet at 6:15pm to check out this mixed media experience created through the collaboration of 4 faith communities.
4/12 - EASTER: Meet at 10:25am to carpool to a local Lutheran congregation for Easter worship!
---
These devotions are provided by Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University .  Feel free to share them with your friends!  For more information on our ministry and events, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran  
You can subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!