Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lent 2009: Third Sunday

As I mentioned last week, Sundays are not part of Lent, but rather always celebrations of the resurrection.  To mark this distinction, instead of my thoughts on scripture, here's some bits by others that I find interesting...

=========

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. " -- Martin Luther King Jr., Sojourners Voice of the Day 3/14/2009  


"People work a lot in America; some to survive, some to acquire and some to live their dreams. We lay claim to what we work for and what we think we deserve. We feel that if we work hard we deserve to rest long. We look at God with the same understanding. We like a God who gives merit for our 'good works' of religiosity or charity, but do not want to depend on a merciful God. Many of us believe that if we do good, we will be blessed. Jesus reveals to us through transfiguration a radically new image of God--a merciful, gracious, forgiving and healing God. We are called to transform the true glory of the merciful God to the suffering humanity."  -- Moses Penumaka, Director of Theological Education for Emerging Ministries (TEEM), Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary 


"I do not know what to ask you. You alone know my real needs, and you love me more than I even know how to love. Enable me to discern my true needs which are hidden from me. I ask for neither cross nor consolation; I wait in patience for you. My heart is open to you. For your great mercy's sake, come to me and help me. Put your mark on me and heal me, cast me down and raise me up. Silently I adore your holy will and your inscrutable ways. I offer myself in sacrifice to you and put all my trust in you. I desire only to do your will. Teach me how to pray and pray in me, yourself." Vasily Drosdov Philaret, c. 1780 - 1867 (from http://fatherjason.blogspot.com/2009/03/discernment.html)

---
These devotions are provided by Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University.  Feel free to share them with your friends!  For more information on our ministry and events, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran  
You can subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!