Sunday, March 8, 2009

Lent 2009: Second Sunday

As I mentioned last week, Sundays are not part of Lent, but rather always celebrations of the resurrection.  To mark this distinction, instead of my thoughts on scripture, here's some bits by others that I find interesting...

=========

"The challenge for each of us is to let God take [our cross], to give our cross over to God so God can act with it and upon it as he goes to his own. The amazing yet horrifying premise of Jesus upon the cross is God's very life in our lives, God's very participation in all the crosses of humanity. The Christian hope is founded upon God's presence with us in all things, and despite all things, in God's activity that brings newness to life."  -- Michael R. Sullivan, ExploreFaith.org Signpost 3/8/2009 

"There is no way to peace along the way to safety. For peace must be dared. It is the great venture."  -- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Address at Fano, Sojourners Voice of the Day 1/26/2009 

"MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."  -- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"

---
These devotions are provided by Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University.  Feel free to share them with your friends!  For more information on our ministry and events, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran  
You can subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!