Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lent 2009 #7

1 I cry aloud to God, aloud to God, that he may hear me.
2 In the day of my trouble I seek the Lord; in the night my hand is stretched out without wearying; my soul refuses to be comforted.
3 I think of God, and I moan; I meditate, and my spirit faints. Selah

4 You keep my eyelids from closing; I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
5 I consider the days of old, and remember the years of long ago.
6 I commune with my heart in the night; I meditate and search my spirit:
7 "Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable?
8 Has his steadfast love ceased forever? Are his promises at an end for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has he in anger shut up his compassion?" Selah

10 And I say, "It is my grief that the right hand of the Most High has changed."
11 I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord; I will remember your wonders of old.
12 I will meditate on all your work, and muse on your mighty deeds.
13 Your way, O God, is holy. What god is so great as our God?
14 You are the God who works wonders; you have displayed your might among the peoples.
15 With your strong arm you redeemed your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah

16 When the waters saw you, O God, when the waters saw you, they were afraid; the very deep trembled.
17 The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered; your arrows flashed on every side.
18 The crash of your thunder was in the whirlwind; your lightnings lit up the world; the earth trembled and shook.
19 Your way was through the sea, your path, through the mighty waters; yet your footprints were unseen.
20 You led your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron.


THOUGHTS:
What is the place of doubt in our faith?  Some see doubt as a lack of faith, but I think God sometimes meets us in our doubts.  Sometimes, times of skepticism are when we are most open to sensing God's presence.

Here, the psalmist laments how far away God seems.  The questions in verses 7-9 are heartbreaking as they mourns how a feeling of being abandoned by God.  Yet the psalm continues by remembering the wonders God did years before, how God redeemed his ancestors from slavery.  The psalmist proceeds here from doubt to faith, remembering that God uses human hands to lead and care for God's people.

Together, we share our doubts and faith with each other, and sometimes our questions are more helpful than the answers.  
What makes God seem far away from you?
What makes you feel like God is close?
What are your questions?    


PRAYER:
O Lord, thank you for our existence and for all the blessings in our lives.  Help us to draw close to you, and to find a way to live in the tension of our questions.  We seek to follow Jesus together.  Help us. AMEN.

---
TODAYfaith discussion group meets at 4:30pm in SUB 1 Patriot's Lounge.  Join us for worship at 7:47pm in the JC Bistro.
Last call: There are still TWO open spaces for our spring break mission trip to Jacksonville, Florida.  For info/application: http://gmu747.org/spbr09.php
---
These devotions are provided by Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University.  Feel free to share them with your friends!  For more information on our ministry and events, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran  
You can subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!