Monday, March 23, 2009

Lent 2009 #23

Psalm 107:1-9,42-43
1 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever. 2 Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, those he redeemed from trouble 3 and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south. 4 Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to an inhabited town; 5 hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them. 6 Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress; 7 he led them by a straight way, until they reached an inhabited town. 8 Let them thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wonderful works to humankind. 9 For he satisfies the thirsty, and the hungry he fills with good things.

42 The upright see it and are glad; and all wickedness stops its mouth. 43 Let those who are wise give heed to these things, and consider the steadfast love of the Lord.



THOUGHTS:
These verses proclaim that:
God leads the lost and gathers people together;
God provides for the thirsty, not just a little bit, but until they are satisfied;

God feeds the hungry, not with scraps and crumbs, but with good things;
God loves humanity and cares for us -- probably in ways we don't fully understand.


In response, the Psalmist praises God and calls on people to be glad and consider the steadfast love of God.


Take sometime today to think about the love of God. Lift your heart and mind to God, who cares for each of us, and also for people "collected" together in community. Praise the steadfast love of the Lord!


PRAYER: "Christ shield me this day: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me." (from "The Breastplate of St. Patrick").

---
Theology Pub at Brion's Grille on Tuesday 3/24 at 5:15pm. All are welcome.
---
These devotions are provided by Lutheran Campus Ministry at George Mason University. Feel free to share them with your friends! For more information on our ministry and events, see http://gmu.edu/org/lutheran
You can subscribe to these devotions by RSS or email from http://lentendevotions.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!