Friday, March 7, 2008

Lent Day #27


Psalm 118:24-29 (NIV)
24 This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
25 O LORD, save us; O LORD, grant us success.
26 Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD. From the house of the LORD we bless you.
27 The LORD is God, and he has made his light shine upon us.
With boughs in hand, join in the festal procession up to the horns of the altar.
28 You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you.
29 Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.



THOUGHTS:
Today, most of you are in the midst of another day of chilly rain. Meanwhile, I'm in Ohio/Kentucky where it is snowing. Now, I love snow -- it's so beautiful as it floats down from the sky and blankets the earth in a covering of white. It's also fun to play in! That being said, the headline for the local newspaper today reads, "worst storm of the year". I just spend 75 minutes traveling 22 miles on slippery highway in my wife's lightweight car.



I'm here for a wedding, and I find myself praying that everyone has safe travels and is able to make it to this happy event. Yesterday at the rehearsal, the view from the pavillion overlooking Cincinatti was stunning. Today, I can no longer see the skyscrapers across the Ohio River when I look out of my hotel window. Will we see the lights of the skyline at night ... or merely the wall of white that we see now? Predictions call for as much as 13 inches of snow to fall before we drive to Columbus tomorrow. Driving in this isn't much better than getting soaked while walking across campus.



It's easy to rejoice in the beautiful sunny spring days that come. It's the days like these when the weather throws us for a loop that maybe we need to remember to rejoice. Your gut instinct may not be joyful, but take the time to be thankful for another day of experiences -- another day of life. Celebrate God's love for you. This day, rejoice!



PRAYER:
Oh God, we praise you for this day. It may not be what we wanted or expected, but we rejoice in the bounty of all that you have made. In Jesus name, AMEN.


NOTES:
Yes, this picture was actually taken out of my hotel room window and there really are abundant skyscrapers just past the bridges in the wall of white...

No comments:

Post a Comment

All are welcome to post comments on these devotions, provided that the comments are respectful and relatively "on topic". Differences of opinion are appreciated, but we note that we enforce this as a "safe space". Comments that attack other users, are offensive, or are SPAM will not be approved. Thank you and God bless!